Hibernate was started in 2001 by Gavin King as an alternative to EJB2 style entity bean.
Hibernate framework or say ORM Tool simplifies the development of java application to interact with the database. It is an ORM (Object Relational Mapping) , lightweight, open source tool.
Hibernate ORM tool make data creation, data manipulation and data access simple. It is a programming technique that maps the object to the data stored .
The ORM tool internally uses the JDBC API to interact with the database.
Advantages of Hibernate Framework
There are many advantages of Hibernate Framework.
1) Lightweight and Opensource : Hibernate is opensource under the LGPL license and lightweight.
2) Fast performance: It is fast because hibernate framework uses cache feature, it is used internally by the hibernate frame work. Hibernate framework uses first level cache and second level cache. cache at first level is default in hibernate.
3) Independent Database query: Object Oriented Version of SQL is HQL (Hibernate Query language) which are database independent queries. in this case developers do not write queries specific to database. Before Hibernate, If database is changed for the project, we need to change the SQL query as well that leads to the maintenance problem.
4) Automatic table creation: Hibernate framework provides the facility to create the tables of the database automatically. So there is no need to create tables in the database manually.
5) Joins are simplified in HQLDownload Hibernate Release Jar (31 downloads)