Schedule Management Knowledge Area
There are 6 time management process and out of 6, 5 are in planning process group and 1 is in Monitoring and Controlling Process group.
- Plan Schedule Management
- Define Activities
- Sequence Activities
- Estimate Activity Duration
- Develop schedule
- Control schedule
Time Management is all about breaking the work down into activities, so you can put them in order and come up with estimates for each of them.
Inputs of the plan schedule management are: Project Charter, Project Management Plan, Organizational process asset, Enterprise Environmental Factor.
Output from the above input is Schedule Management Plan which is the only output from plan schedule management process.
Tool and Techniques in plan schedule management process are Expert judgement, meetings, Analytical Techniques
Plan Schedule Management is the process of planning,defining,documenting ,managing ,executing and monitoring and controlling the project schedule the key benefit of this process is to provide guidance and direction to how the project schedule will be managed through out the project .
Plan Schedule Management Process overview
Define Activities Process: In this process you breakdown the work package into activities. All the inputs for this process comes from previous knowledge areas of scope management and integration management knowledge areas.
Define Activity process is to decompose the work package created in WBS to make activities and to achieve the deliverable of work packages to get the project objectives. It is the process to identify and documenting the action to be performed to achieve project deliverable’s.
Input to Define Activities are: Schedule management plan, organizational process assets, Scope base line, and enterprise environmental factors.
- Project Management Plan and its sub plan like schedule management plan ,scope management plan
- Scope baseline (project scope statement, WBS, WBS Dictionary).
- Enterprise environmental factor
- Organization process assets.
Tools and Techniques are:
- Expert judgement
- Rolling wave planing
Output of Define activities process are: The main output is Activities list. Other outputs which goes along with are Milestone list, Activities attributes, change requests,project management plan updates .
Sequencing Activities Process: In this process you make the Activities in right order. The key benefit of this process is to identify the relationship between the activities. Below diagram shows the overview of the Sequencing Activity Process
Input of this process are:
- Project Management Plan and its subsidiary plan like scope management plan etc.
- Activity List
- Activity Attribute
- Milestone list
- Enterprise Environmental Factor
- Organizational process Assets
Tools and Techniques are:
- Precedence Diagram Method
- Dependency determination
- Leads and Lag
Output of this process are:
- Project document update
- Project Schedule network diagram
Estimate Activity Resource Process: Resources are people, equipment, locations, or anything else that you need in order to do all of the activities that you planned for. Every activity in our activity list needs to have resources assigned to it.
The goal of Estimating Activity Resource is to assign the resources to the activity list. There are five tool and techniques for that.
- Expert judgement
- Alternative analytics
- Published estimating data
- Project management software
- Bottom up estimating.
Estimate Activity Duration Process: This is the process where you will estimate how long the project will take to complete. Estimating the duration of an activity means starting with the information you have about that activity and the resources that are assigned to it, and then working with the project team to come up with an estimate. Most of the time you’ll start with a rough estimate and then refine it (maybe a few times!) to make it more accurate.
You will use five tool and techniques in this process
- Expert judgment
- Analogous estimate: This is helpful when you have information about similar project and team before you start the new project. You will take advantage of the previous project and its similar activities.
- Parametric estimate. In this you will be using data about your project into formulas, spreadsheet, computer program, database that will come up with estimate.
- Three point estimate. In this you will come up with numbers. Most likely, optimistic and pessimistic and the final result will be the average.
Reserve analysis and group discussion.